Early Release, Tardy, and Absent Information:
A note is needed when students return from being absent, are tardy, or need to be picked up early from school. This note must be turned in to the Attendance Secretary no later than the end of 1st period for early dismissal or no later than 3 days upon students return from being absent.
Please use the forms above or a hand-written note including:
- Student’s Full Name
- Week Day(s) absent
- Reason for absent or early release
- Legal Parent / Guardian signature
- Current phone number
Students arriving to school or to class after 8:35 will report to the attendance office to sign in tardy and receive a pass to class. Students who are tardy are only considered excused for illness – with a note from a parent/guardian, a doctor’s/dental appointment, and a late bus. Students who arrive on a late bus will not be penalized with a tardy but should stop by attendance to receive a pass so that they are marked correctly in Infinite Campus. All late bus claims are checked with transportation if we have not received a call from transportation beforehand. Students will be responsible for turning in a note for their tardy within 3 days of the tardy. After the 3rd day, it remains unexcused.
Students who check in late without a note will receive an unexcused tardy and will need to sign an unexcused check-in record. Below is the discipline for each tardy.
- Tardy 1-3: Warning
- Tardy 4: 1 Administrative Detention
- Tardy 5: 2 Administrative Detentions
- Tardy 6: 1 Day of ISS
- Tardy 7: 2 Days of ISS (or 1 day of Saturday School) PLUS 15 day loss of parking permit
- Tardy 8: 3 Days of ISS PLUS 30 Day loss of Parking Permit
- Tardy 9: 5 Days of ISS and Revocation of Parking Permit
- Tardy 10: 1 Day OSS
Excused Absences According to State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-.10
- Personal illness
- Serious illness or death in the immediate family (mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, or guardians)
- Court Order
- Religious Holiday
- Instances in which attendance could be hazardous as determined by the Fayette County School System – School Cancellations
- Up to five (5) days excused absences per year to students whose parents are in the military and are being deployed or are on leave.
- Service as page in legislature
- Absences to vote in an election
*Please note that the state department of education determines which incidents are excused and unexcused under Rule 160-5-1.10 (see above).
*Family emergencies are not one of the excused absences unless they are one of the above reasons.
Clinic and Illnesses:
Please send all students who are not feeling well to the clinic. This will give them a pass to be excused for the day.
Reasons your students will be sent home:
- Fever > 100.4 degrees F or 38.0 degrees Celsius
- Student should stay home until there is NO FEVER for 24 hours WITHOUT MEDICATION.
- Vomiting or Diarrhea
- Student should stay home with ONE event of vomiting or diarrhea.
- Drainage from a wound, rash, eyes or nose
- Head lice or scabies
- Unexplained Rash
Your student may not return to school until they have been fever free and symptom-free for ONE FULL school day (i.e. If your child goes home sick anytime during the school day on Monday, your child can not return to school until Wednesday.) When there is doubt in your mind about sending your student to school, consult your doctor. Your school nurse or principal may ask for a “Release to Return to School” from your doctor before your student can return to school.
*Please call the school or email the nurse to update the school on any illnesses your child has been diagnosed with so that we can keep a record.
Pre-Approved Absence Form:
Please see Ms. Kirsten Brooks in the Attendance Office at the end of the 700, to pick-up a Pre-approved Absence Request Form. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that each teacher reads and signs the request. All requests need to be turned back into the Attendance Secretary, at least one week before the first day of absence. This will help us to start the pre-arranged absence paperwork. This form must be signed by each teacher and then turned in for administrative approval. Any questions please call Mrs. Sarah DesLaurier, 770-486-2710 ext 108
Driving off Campus:
A parent note is required when a student needs to drive off campus during school hours. Parents will be always contacted before the student receives a pass to drive off campus, no matter the age of the student. Parents please be available and have a current phone number written on the note.
- In the event that a student needs to leave and did not have a note, the parent must call the school at 770-486-2710 ext. 108 and send an email before the student is allowed to leave campus. This is reserved for last minute doctors’ appointments or other emergencies.
- Any student who is ill must go see the nurse.
Holiday Breaks/Weekends Early Dismissal Procedure
Due to the large volume of checkouts, we do not accept phone calls and emails for checkouts on Fridays before holidays and holiday breaks. This allows the attendance office to get your students' paperwork ready and makes the check-out process run smoothly for all students and parents/guardians involved. We will always send out a reminder two days or the day before that Friday.
What Parents and Students need to know about Attendance:
- Infinite Campus calls will go out every day for students who marked absent unexcused or check out before 10:15.
- The Attendance secretary will print and mail the 5 day unexcused absence and tardy letters Monday morning.
- Once a student has missed 5 unexcused days they will receive:
- Once a student has checked in or out 10 times, a doctor’s note will be required and a parent note will not be accepted.
- Notes are to be turned in to the attendance office, not to teachers. Notes are also required to leave early or check in late.
If you have any questions regarding an automated voice mail message or letter you that you have received in regards to attendance please contact Mrs. Sarah DesLaurier at 770-486-2710 ext. 2235 or firstname.lastname@example.org