Georgia Department of Education High School Graduation Requirements for students entering 9th grade in 2008 - 2009 or later:
- 23 total units required for all students
- 4 units of English Language Arts required for all students
- 4 units of Mathematics required for all students
- 4 units of Science are required for all students (the 4th science unit may be used to meet both the science and elective requirements).
- 3 units of Social Studies are required for all students, all courses are specifically identified.
- 1 unit of Health and Physical Education is required for all students; 3 units of JROTC may be used to meet the requirement.
- A total of 3 units are required from: CTAE and/or Foreign Language and/or Fine Arts for all students (students planning to enter or transfer into a University System of Georgia institution must take two units of the same foreign language).
- 4 additional elective units for all
- 9th grade to 10th grade - 5 1/2 credits
- 10th grade to 11th grade - 11 1/2 credits
- 11th grade to 12th grade - 17 credits
Additional graduation criteria
See the GA DOE website for a thorough explanation of the Georgia Milestones Assessment. The GA Milestones Assessment is taken in certain subjects and counts toward 20% of the final grade.
Information from the University System of Georgia outlining the requirements for admission to college as compared to the state guidelines.
Please note that each college/university sets specific guidelines on admissions criteria; please check the college/university website for updated information.