Summary of Consequences
Reporting Students with Unexcused Absences/Tardies
O.C.G.A. 20-2-701 Absences – Lawful absences (excused) as defined by State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-.10:
- Personal illness
- Death in immediate family
- Religious holiday
- Instances in which attendance could be hazardous as determined by Fayette County Public Schools
- Service as page in legislature
- Court order
- Absence to vote in an election
Consequences for Unexcused Absences/Tardies
Any parent, guardian, or other person who has control of any child who on the tenth unexcused day of absence or the tenth unexcused tardy per semester, and after the child’s school system notifies the parent, guardian, or other person who has control of any child, upon each day’s absence/tardy from school shall be guilty of a misdemeanor or court action may be pursued for formal intervention.
- Fine – not less than $25 and not greater than $100.00
- Imprisonment – not to exceed 30 days
- Community Service, or any combination of such penalties, at the discretion of the court.