Meet Our Superintendent
Joseph (Jody) C. Barrow, Jr., Ed.D.
Dr. Barrow began his career in education in 1980. He is in his seventh year as the Superintendent of Fayette County Schools, having also served previously as a teacher, assistant principal, principal, and superintendent across the K-12 spectrum in several Georgia school systems.
Dr. Barrow has been awarded multiple honors during his career. He received the prestigious Georgia School Superintendents Association’s Bill Barr Leadership Award as well as being named the Georgia Association of Educational Leader’s Outstanding Educator and the Georgia Partnership for TeleHealth Champion of the Year. He has been recognized by the Georgia Senate and House for efforts in educational excellence and was chosen as Superintendent of the Year for the Georgia Head Start Program in 2012.
In 2015, Dr. Barrow was selected as the College of Education Alumnus of the Year for Georgia Southern University. Dr. Barrow was a finalist for the Superintendent of the Year for GSSA and was awarded the AVPRIDE “Diamonds in the Rough” honor in 2016.
Dr. Barrow was named GSSA Superintendent of the Year for Georgia in 2017 and received the GAEL 2017 Outstanding Educator Award. In 2019, Dr. Barrow was appointed as a board member for the National Center for Education, Research and Technology (NCERT).
He and his wife, Dr. Susan Barrow, are the proud parents of five children, two of whom are currently enrolled in the Fayette County School System.
During his career, Dr. Barrow’s accomplishments include:
- Improving student achievement and success for all children
- Increasing graduation rates
- Implementing and advancing cutting edge 21st-century technology and innovative programs
- President of the Georgia Association of Educational Leaders (GAEL), Past President of the Georgia School Superintendents Association (GSSA), past member of the executive committee and governing board of the American Association School Administrators (AASA), Georgia Leadership Institute of School Improvement (GLISI) board of directors
- Educationally overcoming the largest wildfire in the history of Georgia
- Leading construction projects that received national recognition
- Establishing of School-Based Health Centers (SBHC)
- Serving on multiple state and national non-profit board and advisory committees that impact education and healthcare.
Dr. Barrow has led his districts to these accomplishments while dealing with massive budget challenges. He truly strives to be a "champion for children" in all endeavors and works to put children first in every situation.